Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Lesson In History: The Battle of Tours

Many a times we forget that war is a necessary evil. Many a times we forget that our society was formed and protected through and because of a series of wars. Many a times we forget that our ancestors paid the price we are now unwilling to pay to protect our values and our freedom.

I will be posting different videos or articles on different wars or battles that took place and changed the course of history--protecting not only the people of Europe but the Western Civilization itself. And I will also post videos or articles about battles or wars that took place where the West (or other non Muslim countries/tribes made a mistake and paid a high price).

Let's look at the Battle of Tours in this short video.

10 comments:

Damien said...

Avenging Apostate,

Nice Video! I love the history channel. I saw this show in its entirety. Its Called "The Dark Ages!" Its a very interesting documentary. I would recommend it to anyone interesting in history of Western Civilization between the Fall of Rome and the Renaissance.

Ed Miller said...

If only Martel's forces had had AK-47s, hand grenades, and flame throwers!

- pupista! (barking mad on the right)

Ed Miller said...

And air cover.

Anonymous said...

Since you lifted the dust cover off of our time machine, I'd like to toss in two nice shiny ICBM's - single warhead each.

Come to think of it, for a couple of good concert tickets, one pimple faced teenager with a baseball bat and a fondness for old caves might do the trick.

Anonymous said...

..of course there's that grandfather paradox thingy to think about..

Damien said...

William E Miller and Anonymous,

I'm glad you are enthusiastic about this, but there's really no point in wishing we could alter the past. Anonymous, although your time travel scheme may sound good on paper, it could have some serious unintended consequences if you could pull it off in real life. Lets just be glad that Charles Martel was able to drive the Moores back and stop them from taking over all of Europe.

Ed Miller said...

Damien-

Thank God you were here to pull me back from the brink...

What was I thinking, making jokes and having a good time and stuff...

I'll try to watch that from now on!

- pupista! (barking mad on the right)

Damien said...

William E Miller,

There's nothing wrong with making jokes and having a good time. Sometimes I just take what people say too seriously. Its hard for me to tell when people are joking sometimes.

Ed Miller said...

If it involves AK-47s and air cover in the Dark Ages, I think it's safe to assume it's a joke. ;)

- pupista! (barking mad on the right)

Pastorius said...

William Miller,
I congratulate you on one of the funniest threads in awhile.

Thanks. I'm LMAO.